Louisiana State Facility Planning and Control & Louisiana State University
In-Progress Est. 2017
The Old Engineering Shops Building began its life c.1924, along with 9 other buildings designed by architect Theo C. Link as part of the original master plan for Louisiana State University. Because the existing building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a complete historic renovation will be undertaken to meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Rehabilitation of Historic Structures. It is speculated that one of the initial uses of the building was that of a construction fabrication shop for the construction of the original campus buildings. The building is currently being occupied by the art department for the studio arts and once renovated, will house new studio arts facilities for ceramics, printmaking and sculpture. In addition to a total interior reorganization to meet the needs of the art department, the renovation will provide significant upgrades to air conditioning and ventilation systems as well as a complete interior finish upgrade. || At the end of the three existing exterior courtyards spaces, breezeway connector additions will allow a new circulation spine across the four extending wings and provide exterior stair access to the basement spaces and second floors. The steel grillage treatment on the connecting additions reference the industrial character of the steel truss framework throughout the interior high volume spaces. It also allows the additions to remain transparent and provide a view to the historic structures. The center courtyard connector addition is treated with particular prominence to announce a new south building entry sequence toward a new galley/critique space The new entry will be accessed by a new pedestrian bridge from S. Campus Drive.