The Morgan & Lindsey Apartments is an adaptive reuse of an historic circa 1890’s building located in Historic Downtown Hammond. The developers purchased
a mid-block, 14,000 sq.ft., two-story former department store with second floor storage. The building had rear access from an alley and a storefront facing
main street. The building was significantly renovated in the 1930’s into the Art Deco style with plaster and ceramic tile facade and aluminum storefront.
The adaptive reuse required removal of the center portion of the building to accommodate an exterior courtyard which allowed access into eight apartment
units located behind and above a boutique storefront which maintained the original historic facade in order to qualify for historic tax credits. The eight
residential units are accessed by exterior stairs and balconies within the new courtyard. The overall volume of the historic building allowed for a parking
garage at the rear, accessed from the alley, with split-level units above. The adaptive reuse concept has been recognized for its innovative design and
conformance with the historic guidelines.